Prepare the surface for paint / wallcovering by addressing the mold and mildew first.
Property owner awareness is heightening due to the health risks that humans and animals are exposed to toxic compound. Mold exposure can cause allergic reactions, asthma attacks, and irritate eyes, nose, throat and lungs. The health risks will go on until dealt with properly.
Mold causes property damage to the organic building materials if left unchecked. It is nature’s way of decomposing organic matter – fallen trees, leaves and the like. Inside and outside of buildings there are food sources for mold. They would include wood, drywall, paint coatings, wallpaper adhesives and caulks.
You first recognize the smell of mold; a kind of musty, pungent odor. If uncovered be careful not to release the mold spores into the air. Once airborne and inhaled is when mold imposes health risks.Generally fungicides are used to kill the mold spores. Some folks recommend household bleach be used. Careful, bleach is acidic and the odor can also burn your eyes and lungs –NEVER mix bleach and ammonia, it produces a lethal gas. Consider your own health and chemistry experience before you try to kill the mold.
A coating and paint professional could be the solution. Some have knowledge about the correct method and products that should be used to destroy the mold and help prevent it from coming back. Our accreditation gives us such knowledge and keeps us up-to-date on the latest methods and available products. We are committed to doing the job right without exasperating the problem. Contact us and we can help.